Liquorice Park has been an important part of Lincoln since at least the 16th century, when it was used as agricultural land. Until 1818, the park was mainly used as an orchard and meadow, and these features remain in the park today.
Richard Carline, a local solicitor and alderman, was keen to improve the city in various ways. He proposed to the Council that a route be built from the junction of Far Newland through the fields below the Asylum and thence under the hill to Burton Road.
By 1880, all the land on the flatter part (above Carline Road and below Yarborough Road down to West Parade) was sold off for housing, leaving the steepest part in the middle as open land – now reduced to the present area of about 4.5 acres.
This land then became allotments, eventually being acquired by the City of Lincoln Council.
Liquorice Park Millennium Green Trust was established and registered as a charity. The site was leased to the Trust for 999 years by the City of Lincoln Council. A grant was received from the Countryside Agency and work started in November 1999, supervised by Groundwork Lincolnshire. Steps were built, a performance area created and fruit trees were planted. Much of the area was left overgrown, providing useful wildlife habitats.